THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fallen Marine


October 1st 2006, I can remember it like it was yesterday. It was just over a month into our unit's deployment to Iraq. I got a call from the Key Volunteer Coordinator, Christina Zupich on Sunday evening. Her first words were, we lost our 1st Marine. It was her duty to inform all the Key Volunteers so we could pass it on to the families before they heard it from the news media. My heart dropped and my selfish reaction was to ask if my son was ok. She assured me he was.
It was the most difficult phone call I had ever had to make to my families. I have never had to pass on this type of information before and thankfully I never had to repeat it.
I was so sad and so proud to be able to attend this brave Marine's funeral. He will always be my Hero.

0 comments: