THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, November 17, 2008

1st Love

As I left work on Friday, I decided to stop at the Phillips 66 station in Roseland to play a couple of lottery tickets I had in my purse. I went in and traded them in on a couple more tickets. I took the tickets out to my car to scratch them off. As I was scratching them off, I looked up at a Jeep Cherokee that I thought was my uncle. It wasn't and I kept playing my lottery tickets. I won a couple of bucks and decide to go back in and trade them for more tickets. As I was getting out of my car, the man from the Jeep was coming out of the station. He looked at me and said "Melody?" I looked at him, said yes, but I was trying to figure out who he was and how I knew him. He could tell I had no idea who he was. He came up to me and hugged me and said I am John Weller, do you remember when we were 15? I was shocked to say the least. He was my very 1st boyfriend.

It was 1974. I fell head over heads in love with that boy. We dated that summer then we broke up. We went out again when I was 18 for a short time when he was home from college. Then when I was 28 I called him in Florida and he came home for a weekend and spent some time with me. It did not matter how long we had been apart, whenever I would see him, my heart would do flip-flops and I would swoon over him. After that weekend I wrote to him and told him it would never work. He was living a totally different lifestyle than me. I was a single mom raising a young son. I couldn't just go and party when the mood struck me. I never heard from him again. I have often thought of him over the years.

He is now 49 years old. Still has his hair, but it is gray. I don't think he has ever been married. He was living the fast life in West Palm Beach Florida until about 10 years ago, when he moved back to Indiana. He said to me that he has seen me at lunch at Frank's Place with my "boyfriend"(Totally a fishing line). I told him that was "my husband". We chit chatted awhile and then he was gone.

I was amazed that my heart didn't do flip-flops, and I wasn't shaking on the inside. I didn't melt to butter any longer. He was still good looking, but looking so much older and you could see the years of partying has taken a toll on his body. I realize none of us look the same as we did when we were in our twenties. I was just happy that think I "looked" better than him.
It reminds me of the song by Garth Brooks. Thank God for unanswered prayers.

1 comments:

Patty Knight said...

It's funny that you posted this. I recently found my high school sweetheart through Facebook. He's a hotshot news anchor in Las Vegas - and I'm STUCK here in South Bend, Indiana. Oh well, like you said, my heart no longer does flipflops. It's been nice talking with him via email and catching up on some of our old friends.